PRESIDENT/CEO of GetPayroll
(Custom Payroll Associates, Inc.)
MBA, CPA, U.S. Tax Court Practitioner (USTCP), Internal Revenue Service Advisory Council (IRSAC), Employment Tax Expert, IRS Watchdog, and Small Business Advocate
Charles Read is an accomplished senior executive and entrepreneur with more than 50-years of financial leadership experience in a broad range of industries, as well as a licensed Certified Public Accountant (CPA).
Background & Experience
His extensive background stretches across
- information technology,
- human resources,
- wholesale distribution,
- and more.
He has held Series 7 and 66 Securities licenses.
He is one of 86 people in the last 16 years to pass the US Tax Court Non-Attorney Practitioners Examination, which enables him to represent clients in the US Tax Court without being an attorney.
In addition, he was recently appointed to the Internal Revenue Service Advisory Council (IRSAC), as one of only seven members chosen nationwide to serve on the prestigious committee in 2018 for a three-year term.
Charles is not the typical CPA. He leverages his education, experience, and hard-earned wisdom to connect with individuals at every level within an organization.
He creates impactful change as an advisor and solutions architect to resolve business-related challenges brought on by disruptive market forces and inefficient organizational planning. With a wealth of expertise as a CEO, CFO, COO, teacher, and consultant working in domestic and international markets, Charles is able to intuitively understand what a business needs to succeed and assist with laying out a strategic roadmap to accomplish that vision.
In addition to his executive career, Charles is a decorated United States Marine Corps sergeant, a combat veteran of the Vietnam War. While in service, he was trained by IBM as a computer programmer and later a systems engineer.
He is a widower after nearly 45 years of marriage. He and his wife, Ruth, founded Custom Payroll Associates, Inc. and worked side-by-side until she passed away.
Charles’ experience in the U.S. Marines Corp, and as a husband, and father of five children helped instill a sense of discipline and responsibility that has aided him greatly throughout his professional life.
Professionally, Charles is a member of the
- Rotary Club of Dallas (over 20-years)
- Board of Directors
- Treasurer (11-years)
- Chairman of the Rotary Club of Dallas Foundation
- Veterans Coalition of North Central Texas
- Board of Directors
- American Payroll Association
- NACHA (National Automated Clearing House Association)
- American Institute of Certified Public Accountants
- Texas Society of Certified Public Accountants
- Greater Dallas Restaurant Association
- Independent Insurance Agents of America
- National Association of Health Underwriters
- Texas Association of Health Underwriters
- Dallas Chapter of Texas Association of Health Underwriters
Over the course of his career, Charles has established himself as a thought leader in the field of executive and financial services for business owners.
Published Author & Speaker
Charles is the author of four books and is currently writing his fifth.
- The Payroll Book: A Guide for Small Businesses and Startups
- The Little Black Book of the Beauty Biz, Volume 1. The secrets of business critical to a salon’s success.
- Starting a New Business: Accounting, Finance, Payroll, and Tax Considerations
- Small Business Short Course (Employees Book 1)
In addition, Charles is published in numerous articles and blogs. He hosts live and on-demand webinars for hr.com and others, and lectured small and large groups.
He has taught, pro bono, “Introduction to Business” at the high school in his community for a number of years, and was also adjunct faculty in the Dallas County Community College system teaching accounting courses.
Charles Read received his BBA cum laude and MBA from the University of North Texas. As part of his requirements as a CPA, he undertakes numerous continuing professional education courses each year.
Biz TV Texas
Starter Girlz Podcast
We Are VIP Podcast
My Future Business
The Male Perspective